Unfortunately, breakdowns and flat tyres happen. Most of the time, drivers get cause in a sticky situation when they are far away from home or a garage and at the most inconvenient time. We want to make sure that if get stuck on the side of the road, you have all the emergency items you need to stay safe on the road and hopefully get your car up and running again.
- Spare tyre – This is an essential item for all drivers to have in their car. Also, make sure you have a jack, wrench, reflective triangles and wheel wedges.
- Basic tools – Keep duct tape, antifreeze, brake fluid, oil, pliers, screwdrivers, a tyre gauge and a pocket knife in your car in case you get stuck on the side of the road far away from a garage.
- Water – Store a few bottles of water in your car. It can be used to clean up a mess, quench your thirst and even cool down an overheated radiator.
- First aid kit – Make your very own travel first aid kit. Include antibiotic cream, gauze, bandages, painkillers, hand sanitizer, allergy medicine and cotton swabs. You can add more stuff according to you and your family’s specific needs.
- Jumper cables – Jumper cables can help you get your car started again quickly if your car’s battery happens to die. All you need to do is attach the cables to the positive and negative battery terminals on another car – obviously read the instructions before attempting to jump start a car.
- Mini fire extinguisher – Fires can happen. Be prepared by keeping a fire extinguisher in your car.
- A bag of cat litter – if you scatter cat litter under your tyre, you can increase traction under your tyres and get out of a slick spot.
- Torch – This will come in handy if you get stuck out on the road at night.
- Warm blanket – If you’re stuck on the side of the road and the weather is miserable, you can keep warm with a blanket.
- Tow strap – If your car needs to be towed, this will come in handy.
Ensure you have comprehensive car insurance. This way, if you get stuck on the side of the road, you will get helped quickly and effectively.